– Awareness of all bees and pollinators (including anatomy, colony and social structure).
– A year in the life of a typical honeybee colony.
– History and overview of modern beekeeping.
– Hive equipment guide – types of hive, Queen excluders, Crown Boards, smokers and hive tools.
– Siting an apiary.
– The annual cycle of the hive including over-wintering and swarming.
– Common diseases – identification and remedies.
– Record keeping.
– Honey harvesting.
– Identification of bee-types (workers, drones and queens) and common bee behaviour.
– Identification of different brood types / nectar and pollen in the hive.
– Hive inspection (bee suits and gloves will be provided – please bring wellies).